The story goes that the Britannia was coverted from two dwellings and at one time was the residence of Benjamin Huntsman, the inventor of crucible steel, who had a workshop in Church Street.
Attached to the gable and wall there are some metal figures (1772). There significance is not known, for it is believed that the building dates from before that year and Huntsman was certainly here at that time.
In 1819 a widow Ann Hancock were living here and cutlery manufacture was being carried on in a workhop at the rear. It was after this period that the two houses were converted into a school and later a shop before becoming the Britannia Inn